Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A Historical Day


I watched the Inaguaration of President Obama today on CNN and was actually moved to tears a couple of times. Both the Invocation and Benediction were unique, rather personal prayers, and I found myself saying a resounding "Amen" at the end of each, even though I was alone! President Obama is such an eloquent speaker; I'm sure it's a challenge to write a speech for him. His speech was very inspiring to me and filled me with much needed hope for our country's future.

Today I told both kids that they are seeing history in the making and their children will read about this election, this president, and this day in history books. I'm not sure it made much of an impression on them but it will someday.

This morning on NPR I heard about a 105-year-old African-American woman, from Columbus, Ohio, who went to the Inauguration today and had a front row seat. People tried to discourage her from attending because of the cold, but she said she wouldn't have missed it for anything. The reporter said she was all bundled up in a sleeping bag and is such a tiny person anyway that all you could see was pretty much the top of her little gray head and her eyes peering out. I can only imagine what a powerful experience it was for her, being over a century old and having lived through so much in this country. That story just really touched me.

The picture of the flag is one my brother took. I love his pictures.
I am so grateful for this day!

1 comment:

  1. Amen about the inauguration. I feel like there is a captain at the helm. Glad you like the photo.

    ReplyDelete