Sunday, May 10, 2009

Lots to Catch Up On

Caitlin and her proud parents. She did a beautiful job!
After the show photos of Caitlin's 4th recital.


Has it really been almost six weeks since I blogged? I guess I'm somewhat of a bipolar blogger. I suppose I knew it would be this way when I started a blog. I've never been consistent at journaling or anything like that. I'm always thinking of things I can write about, but never take the time to do it. I read a quote a few weeks ago that said, "If not now, when?" I've been applying that to all sorts of things in my life, from the mundane to the more significant. I'm going to try applying it to my blogging efforts as well. After all, as one of my favorite quotes states, "There's no such thing as an unimportant day in anyone's life" so I should have plenty to blog about.

Last night was Caitlin's spring recital. As you can see from the pictures above, she looked absolutely beautiful and danced amazingly. This will probably be her last as she's planning to change dance studios. She performed four numbers...tap, jazz, ballet, and character ballet. She did a beautiful job and had lots of support from family and friends.

Today is Mother's Day. I was treated like a queen by my husband who gave me a gift certificate for a massage, cooked a beautiful dinner for me, my mom and a friend, and has basically just waited on me hand and foot all day. He kept my wine glass full and told me I really deserved another serving of that decadent chocolate dessert he bought. I could seriously get used to this and am thinking about proposing to whomever it is that designates these holidays that we celebrate some sort of holiday that recognizes women at least quarterly. Seriously, I do love being a mom and feel like the luckiest mom around to have been given the opportunity to be a mom to Caitlin and Sam, and to have Chip as a partner, companion and friend to raise a family with.

Next week is our half-marathon. I'm really looking forward to this race. I will admit there were a couple of long runs that really got me discouraged. It wasn't so much that it was that difficult, it was just the circumstances and my state of mine on those particular days. One day I mapped out a route for us, thinking we needed a few hills to challenge us. However, even being a fairly seasoned runner, I failed to remember that driving up a hill is far different than running up a hill and suffice to say it was a challenging run. The first 8 miles was basically uphill (at least my version of uphill) and I really didn't think I would make the next 5, but we finally hit a nice straight road and I rebounded. Chip is so patient and accommodating. I complained and swore and complained some more, and he just kept telling me we could stop anytime, knowing I wouldn't. He knows how to play mind games with me to keep me going. Our last 13.5 miler was last weekend and it redeemed every challenging long run I've had in preparation for this race as it was absolutely wonderful in every way. Chip and I finally figured out how to do our long runs together, thanks to the advice of our friends Bob and Carol. We run together for a while and then Chip pulls ahead of me. I keep him in my sights, but every now and then he'll run back to meet up with me, run with me for awhile and then head off on his own again. I'm sure he gets in a few extra miles than I do. He's a most excellent runner!

The day before the race Chip and I are voluntering at the Race Expo. It should be a lot of fun. These expos generally have a good spirit about them. There's a lot of anticipation and positive energy present as people pick up their race packets. I think it will make our race experience that much more positive.

After meeting with the nursing department, I've decided I really don't want to take all my Associate of Science classes again to qualify for the nursing program, and still not be assured of getting accepted. I found out there were 1500 people who applied and only 100 were accepted. So, I did what every good college student does and changed my major. I have decided to major in Social Work. I will get my second Bachelor's in four semesters, then go on to the University of Utah for my graduate work to get my M.S.W. Best case scenario is I'll have my Masters in two years, worst case scenario is three years. I can live with either. Classes start tomorrow.

I have decided to begin volunteering for Hospice and went to a day long training session on Thursday. It was an extremely worthwhile way to spend a day. I learned a lot and was very touched by much of what I heard. I think it will prove to be some very meaningful volunteer work.

We had quite a scare yesterday as Rich disappeared on us for a while. He went to take the garbage out and never came back in. By the time we found him 90 minutes later, he had walked about a mile from home, in his slippers, and ended up in a hair salon asking for help. About the time I finally found him, the police had been called and were arriving. We got him home safe and sound, however, this kind of thing is happening more and more. I really believe it's time for him to be in some sort of assisted living facility. This is easier said than done, as a person can refuse to go into a facility and can only be placed there against their will if their deemed incompetent, which is quite a process. It's just a sad situation no matter how you look at it. Parkinsons Disease is a horrible, horrible disease and I hope someday they find a cure for it.

All that being said, life is good and on this Mother's Day, and everyday, I feel blessed beyond belief.

2 comments:

  1. I was wondering if you lost your password or something - ha! ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always have the right words for everything. I love reading your blog. I am so sorry that Rich and your mom are having to go through that. You guys are such a great family :)

    ReplyDelete