Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Cherry Days 5K

Every year for the 4th of July, North Ogden City sponsors a 5K Run/Walk. I first ran it about 5 years ago, and Chip and Sam ran it together last year. This year Chip, Sam, me and my friend, Mary, ran it together. Actually, Chip and Sam ran together and I ran with Mary. This is our pre-race photo, taken by Caitlin, our dedicated photographer, who got out of bed at 6:15 a.m., after a late night of scooping ice cream at the dairy. Chip and Sam crossing the finish line. Sam has been training with me since school let out. We run together every other day. He got up to 3.3 miles before Race Day, and his goal is to be able to run 5 miles by the end of the summer. I can tell he's giving it his all here as he's finishing. He's like his mom in the sense that we pick up the pace when we "smell the barn. "

Here's Mary and me crossing the Finish Line, with Sam high-fiving us. This was Mary's first race since sustaining a serious running injury last winter, when she slipped on some ice while running and broke her ankle in three places. I think it's fair to say she's impressed pretty much everyone who knows her with how well she's healed and how quickly she's returned to running. Her tenacious attitude and love of running are to credit for her quick recovery. I was so happy to be able to run her first race with her post-injury!
Post-race photo....a little sweaty but feelin' good!

I have a picture of these two in the exact same shirts, race bibs and all from last year. The big difference is where Sam is in terms of height. Last year's photo shows him barely at Chip's shoulder. I can't believe how much he's grown in one year. I'm betting in next year's photo Sam will almost be the same height as his dad!

My buddy, Mary. Together, we have laughed until we cried and cried until we laughed. I respect her immensely and love her to pieces.

1 comment: