Saturday, March 14, 2009

Lots o' Stuff




First of all, I have to brag about my brother. My brother, Mitch, who has developed quite a talent for photography. I'm not sure how long ago he began exploring this hobby, however, he has become very good and has actually won some awards at the Iowa State Fair, as well as having had a picture or two published in photography magazines. (Mitch, since you're one of the very few people who read this blog....I hope I'm getting this all right...if not, you can set me straight.) I have 9 of his photographs hanging in our home. He does still lives, scenery and most recently has begun doing portraits. He's done some graduation portraits, and we're hoping the sun, moon, and stars will all align so he can do Caitlin's. Anyway, he has his own blog where he posts recent pictures he's taken (http://www.photosbypalmer.blogspot.com/) and has recently set up a webpage where you can view and purchase pictures (http://mitchpalmer.zenfolio.com/.) Many of his pictures are of the scenery around Iowa and they're beautiful. He took some pictures at the Huntsville Monastery when he was here visting a couple of years ago which he used to make some confirmation cards for a friend. Anyway, I'm awfully proud of him and admire his ability to see something some ordinary, or something that would be so easily overlooked, and turn it into art. And yes, Mitch, I do consider it art :)

Speaking of wonderful siblings, we had another great visit with Chip's sister, Ann, on her way home from Montana. I've included a couple of pictures, one of which includes our other visitor, Flat Emma. We're really looking forward to seeing Chuck and Marilyn when we head to Montana over Easter, and to seeing the whole clan in July at Courtney's wedding in Estes Park.

Chip and I went for a 12-miler today. It was a nice route which included some hills, and was an absolutely beautiful day for a long run, although a little chilly to begin with. I am so enjoying these long runs. I plan to maintain them after the half-marathon by doing one every Saturday or Sunday morning. It's the cheapest form of therapy I know of and you burn a few calories while you're at it. Talk about a win-win!

We bought Cloe a kong frisbee because we have long believed she would make a good "frisbee dog." Well...we were right. Chip, Sam and I took Cloe and Leo to the park today and she couldn't get enough of it. She was able to catch a couple mid-air which was fun to watch. Leo did fantastic, too. He was running like crazy, tongue hanging out, muddy and wet, and having a good old time. He really just wanted to carry the frisbee around in his mouth and feel it flop around, but Cloe didn't let that last too long. She's small but mighty and can pretty much overpower Leo with attitude, if not force. Leo is doing so great and is back to his old self. We're very relieved and have a renewed appreciation and love for the ole boy.

Chip's off helping our neighbor, Jessica, who lost her keys and needed her daughter picked up from the mall. After that, we're onto more episodes of 24....season 3. At this rate, we should be caught up to date with 24 by the time Sam graduates from high school. Yes, I know we set such high standards for ourselves. Just call us the family of overachievers!


2 comments:

  1. Thanks Laura,
    That is awfully nice of you.

    Mitch

    ReplyDelete
  2. So . . . you found the distance runner in you, huh? I knew it was there!

    ReplyDelete