Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Update on Leo and Life

After two visits to who is now known as our "old vet," we got a second opinion from who we now refer to as our "new vet." (Yes, someone lost a customer.) Dr. Penrod did a very thorough exam of Leo last Saturday. She has definitely ruled out kidney stones or prostatitis. She is inclined to think it is something neurological or possibly a tumor as she found that Leo also isn't able to do "number 2" as well as he should, in addition to the problems he's having urinating. She also did some reflex tests on his hind legs and they don't react as they should. She took x-rays and is going to consult with a neurological vet in Salt Lake. Leo spent the day at the vet yesterday, where they emptied his bladder (which wasn't quite as full as on the previous visit...this is good news) and she attempted to consult with the neurologist, to no avail. I picked Leo up yesterday afternoon and she will call us as soon as she has done the consult. She also prescribed some Rimadyl, an anti-inflammatory, on Saturday. We think it's helping but can't be sure if it's just wishful thinking. Hopefully I'll know more by this afternoon or tomorrow.

On a different note, I started my Book Group last week and I think it's going to be a good group. It's small...only 5 people, which in my opinion is good. Some book groups I've been involved in in the past can be so big that it's a little overwhelming and usually one or two people dominate the entire discussion. The group chose "The Shack" as the first book to discuss, which I'm not convinced is a really good choice but we'll see. As a friend of mine commented, it would be hard to discuss that book in a book group without turning it into a Bible study. It will be interesting, however, just to see what others thought about it in general and their perspective on the story.

Chip and I were invited to join a "Small Group" from our church and gave it a try last week. We went to our first group last week and discussed what direction to go in terms of what to do. Neither of us are big Bible study people, so we were relieved to find that this group has more of a get together type of atmosphere rather than a Bible study. We'll actually be going out to dinner a couple times a month and possibly discuss various articles out of The Lutheran magazine the other weeks. We'll see how it goes. It's something new to both of us.

I get to go to my Women's Spirituality Group tonight at the Congregational United Church of Christ. This group is a wonderful group of open minded women of varying ages and faith backgrounds. It appeals to me because they explore lots of different ways that people use to grow spiritually, some traditional and some very untraditional. I take the shopping cart approach....I take what I find resonantes with me and that is of value and leave behind the stuff that doesn't feel like it fits me. It's been a breath of fresh air for me and has been a bright spot in what has been a rather bleak period in my spiritual life.

Chip was notified last week that they will be laying off at ATK (surprise! surprise!) The memo went out that same afternoon. This will be the first lay-off he's experienced as a Manager, which means he has to determine who stays and who goes. It has been difficult for him in some ways, as he's worked with some of these people for many years. However, it's also been very educational to go through the process of seeing how the ultimate choice is made. Of course, that hasn't been determined as of yet. I believe the lay-offs will happen the end of March. I know he'll be glad when it's all behind him.

I have two exams this week, so I'd better quit blogging and get back to studying about the urinary system, which is a very timely subject to be learning about at this time, don't ya think?

No comments:

Post a Comment