Friday, January 22, 2010

Saying Goodbye to an Old Friend


I am retiring my running shorts. As you can see, they are well used. Yes, those are holes. And yes, those holes are in a very precarious place. However, you non-runners, rest assured....running shorts have a liner in them.
I've had these shorts since summer of 2004. I bought them at, of all places, at Ross Dress For Less. It was one of those strokes of luck where you're there on the right day, at the right time and find the perfect buy for the perfect price.
I have loved these shorts. When I bought them, I was about 10 lbs. heavier than I am currently. I loved how they felt as I lost those 10 lbs.....loose and flowing but with a nice waistband that never felt too big or too small.
These shorts have a little pocket in the front that have carried keys, cell phones, sports gels, sports beans, and other misc. items.
I ran my first half-marathon in these shorts, as well as my most recent half-marathon. I have worn these shorts, literally, for almost every run the past six years. In addition to wearing them in the summer, I wear them over my tights in the winter. That little extra bit of clothing does wonders to warm a cold rear-end in the winter months.

I ordered a new pair of shorts this week and received them last night. They fit beautifully. They are the same brand, the same color, and "supposedly" the same short as my former pair. We'll see. I've tried them on. They fit well, but they're different. For one, they are just a tad bit longer and don't have the notch cut out on the side. And of course, there's that obnoxious drawstring that I swear my old pair didn't have, although upon further inspection I have realized they once did, I just took it out. I'm sure these shorts face the same fate.
There are many runs and many miles ahead that will determine if the "new" shorts make the cut, and if they can be put in the same category as the "old" shorts. I just know that it's not going to feel the same getting dressed for my run in the morning. It won't be mindless. I'll be aware that I'm putting on different shorts, that they're a little bit longer, they don't have the notch cut out, and they have that obnoxious drawstring.
It's hard to say goodbye.

1 comment:

  1. I think you should cut out a patch of the old shorts and pin it to the new ones so they will still be with you always. Maybe you should have a ceremony and then light them on fire, then spread the ashes along the running route. There are so many options to saying goodbye. You can't just toss 'em in the trash can you?

    ReplyDelete